Set up in 1980, PCVS is a registered charity that support the voluntary sector in Peterborough. We provide expert support to help local charities, community groups and volunteers drive positive change from the ground up.
By uniting and strengthening Peterborough’s voluntary and community sector and championing our members and their work, we’re helping to make the sector’s impact greater than the sum of its parts and improve quality of life for people across the city.
PCVS stands up for local charities, community groups and volunteers and gives a voice to the voluntary services sector in Peterborough. With more than 500 members, we’ve been supporting Peterborough’s charities and volunteering groups for 40 years.
Did you know, in the last year we’ve…
- Worked with 5,000 community groups
- Supported more than 30 community centres in Peterborough
- Delivered over 1,500 volunteering opportunities, helping 30 residents find new volunteer roles every month
- And helped raise over £2 million in funding for Peterborough
Our Mission Statement
Peterborough CVS also exists to provide practical help with office services, year end independent accounts checks, salaries and advice on any issue concerning the voluntary group or charity.
- Providing support services such as information, advice and training.
- Identifying new needs and developing initiatives for meeting them.
- Promoting partnership between statutory and voluntary sectors in the delivery of welfare and other services.
- Supporting innovation, accountability and good practice in local services.
- Encouraging local groups and organisations to put forward their views on local and national policies and decisions that affect them.
- Creating and promoting forums and channels used by government and other bodies to consult the community.
- Providing these supports in a special way and with particular values, working with people, groups and communities in a flexible, open way and challenging inequality.
- Peterborough CVS also exists to provide practical help, with office equipment, word-processing, duplicating etc., training through day workshops and Open College Network accreditation courses and advice on any issue concerning the voluntary group or charity.
Our Strategic Objectives
Peterborough CVS has 5 strategic objectives that we strive to achieve, they are:
- Provide specialist expertise, information and support, develop the skills local people need to run successful organisations and help groups find and make effective use of resources.
- Spread good practice, prevent duplication of effort and support joint working.
- Make sure policy makers understand the needs of local voluntary organisations and community groups and help public bodies engage effectively with local voluntary organisations and community groups.
- Encourage more people to volunteer and get involved in voluntary and community action.
- Provide direct services to meet identified needs where there is no appropriate local member organisation to do so.
PCVS is governed by our Trustee Board who are also Company Directors. Members of our current Trustee Board include:
- Dave Ellis – Chairman
- Mandy Thompson – Vice Chairman
- Harmesh Lakhanpaul OBE
- Ratilal Joshi
- Andrew Hempsell
- Eric Siecker
- Andrew Williams
- Alex Hall